FloCon 2023 Presentations Showcase Scalable Analytics Techniques
February 27, 2023—The Software Engineering Institute recently published presentations given at FloCon 2023. The SEI’s conference on applying data to network defense was held January 9-12 in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The event’s slide decks and posters are available to download from the SEI’s Digital Library.
Speakers at the 19th annual conference explored long-standing challenges in security and data analysis, as well as current and future networking technologies. “In addition to the slate of technical presentations, participants shared best practices, novel insights, resources, and opportunities for collaboration throughout the event, in the hallways and at networking gatherings,” said Joshua Fallon, a network defense analyst in the SEI’s CERT Division and the conference chair.
FloCon 2023 presentations and posters cover an array of topics in security operations:
- knowledge graphs
- IPFIX and DPI information
- OSINT analysis tools
- Defense Industrial Base Vulnerability Disclosure Program
- synthetic IP header trace generation
- DNS misinformation, anomaly detection, and tunneling detection
- cybersecurity data lakes
- cybersecurity data preparation for machine learning
- QUIC protocol
- securing cloud workloads
- cyber environment complexity
- diamond model automation
- data-driven detection on a Python framework
- artificial intelligence and machine learning at the edge
- DevSecOps and traffic analysis
- Unexpected Outbound Protocol capability
FloCon has a history of gathering leading security researchers from academia, industry, and government. The conference started by focusing on network flow data. In recent years its scope has expanded to improving network security by analyzing a variety of data supported by innovative machine learning, hardware, and network storage. FloCon 2023 returned in person after holding the event online for two years during the COVID-19 pandemic.