In this participatory session, you'll have fun and learn about the
challenging process of designing an architecture for a Big Data
Analytics System by playing a game called Smart Decisions, which
simulates the architecture design process through a series of
iterations. The game can be played individually or as a group of
architects, and the players compete against each other in a simulated
architecture design activity for a complex Big Data Analytics System. In
each iteration, the players must solve a challenge associated with an
iteration goal and a set of architectural drivers including quality
attributes and constraints. Solving this challenge requires making
design decisions that, in the game, are the selection of one or more
design concepts such as tactics, patterns, or externally developed
components such as frameworks. Players are scored according to the
choices they make, and the player who completes the challenge and gets
the highest score wins.
The game is followed by a discussion
with the participants in which we review several principles illustrated
in the game, including these points:
- Architecture design can be performed systematically in an iterative way.
- Each iteration has a goal and a set of associated drivers or concerns.
- Quality attributes can have different meanings.
- There exist different types of design concepts and a wide variety of each type.
- Selection of design concepts needs to be made by taking into account
several aspects including the iteration goal, concerns, drivers, and